The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the Northern Lights Region is pleased to welcome
Rev. Bill Robey as its interim regional minister, serving as both pastor and administrator
during our search for permanent regional leadership.
Announcement September 24, 2022:
NORTHERN LIGHTS INTERIM REGIONAL MINISTER AFFIRMED
The board of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the Northern Lights Region is pleased to announce the call of the reverend William A. Robey as the region’s Interim Regional Minister. Bill will begin his ministry on October 1, 2022 and serve from 12 to 18 months during the search for a new settled regional minister.
Bill, a retired Air Force pilot, is already well known in the Northern Lights Region having served as the pastor of First Christian Church in Sumner, WA for 12 years prior to retiring. He also spent a year as the interim minister in Helena, MT in 2006-2007 and served seven other congregational interim seasons around the western United States.
Bill served as the Transformation Team Co-Leader and New Church Coordinator for the former Northwest Region. He also served as acting regional minister of the Northwest Region during Sandy Messick’s sabbatical in 2014.
“We are excited to move into this next phase of our living into the vision and mission to which God is calling the Northern Lights Region,” said Amy LaCroix, Regional Moderator. “Bill has many gifts to bring to our work during this interim period.”
Bill shared, “I am honored to be called to the position of Interim Regional Minister and am looking forward to faithfully serving the region and its congregations.”
Bill lives near Puyallup, WA.
Correspondence by mail may be sent to Bill at the regional mailing address at:
4227 S Meridian, #C615, Puyallup, WA 98373.
Moving forward, Bill may be contacted at his regional email address email@example.com or through the Northern Lights regional office at 253-893-7202 ext. 2.
Position Description for Interim Regional Minister-President
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the Northern Lights Region
The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the Northern Lights Region (Northern Lights Region) began January 1, 2020 with the coming together of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Montana and the Northwest Regional Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). The region lives out its ministry through congregations in Alaska, Montana, Northern Idaho, and Washington.
The Interim Regional Minister and President, as both pastor and administrator, will guide the continuing process of creating a new regional culture and living into the vision and mission to which God is calling the Northern Lights Region. The Interim Regional Minister and President will provide guidance and assistance in the search process as requested by the Regional Minister Search Committee. The duration of the interim time is expected to be 12 to 18 months.
The Regional Minister shall have, at minimum, a Master of Divinity degree, be an ordained minister with standing, or eligible to receive standing, in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), and have served a minimum of 5 years in congregational and/or regional ministry.
The Interim Regional Minister and President shall not be eligible to be called as the settled Regional Minister and President.
The Regional Minister-President is called to:
I. Pastoral Duties
A. The Care and Nurture of Clergy by maintaining regular contact with the individual ministers of congregations and Disciple institutions and by seeking to minister to the clergy and their families as counselor, friend, and confidant.
B. The Care and Nurture of Congregations by visiting and fellowshipping with congregations and participating in significant events as time and schedule permits. Giving special attention to congregations undergoing strained relationships between minister and people; problems that threaten the peace and unity of the congregation; or matters adversely affecting the congregation’s relationship to the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
II. Program Oversight
A. Serve as ex-officio member to provide advice and counsel with all commissions, boards, ethnic constituencies, and committees.
B. Meet with, give leadership to, and serve as a voting member of the Regional Board and Executive Committee.
C. Give direction and counsel for Camps and Retreats.
III. Search and Call
A. Receive and respond to congregational requests by:
1. Making the services of the Regional Office available to the congregations, advising them on the search and call process to follow in securing pastoral leadership.
2. Meeting with local search committees whenever appropriate and helping a congregation identify the qualities needed or desired in a minister.
3. Maintain regular contact with each congregation involved in the search and call process.
B. Receive and respond to requests from clergy by:
1. Providing information about the search and call process.
2. Giving counsel to ministers concerning search and call as requested.
3. Encouraging ministers to relocate to the Northern Lights Region when appropriate.
IV. Administrative Responsibilities
A. Office Administration
1. Oversee the work of ministry, office, and staff of the Northern Lights Region.
2. Write and respond to letters, questionnaires, reports, requests.
3. Provide guidance for regional organizations and ministry teams.
4. Supervise the preparation of reports for the Yearbook; report the names of General Assembly voting representatives, etc.
5. Oversee the publication of regional communications.
B. Legal Matters
1. Hold fiduciary responsibility, along with the Regional Board, for the Regional Church’s finances.
2. Receive, review, and file legal documents.
3. Sign official documents as the representative of the Northern Lights Region.
4. File State and Federal reports as required by law.
C. Regional Board and Budget
1. Supervise the notification of members of meetings and the mailing of minutes after meetings.
2. Work with and inform the Regional Moderator and other regional leaders on matters affecting the life and work of the church in the region and denomination.
3. Guide the preparation of the Regional Budget.
4. Supervise the expenditures within the approved budget.
V. Denominational and Ecumenical representation
A. To make visible the unity of the Church, the Interim Regional Minister and President (or designee) shall serve as the primary ecumenical representative.
B. Serve as chief liaison with the general manifestation of the church, including the Conference of Regional Ministers and Moderators, College of Regional Ministers, General Board of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
C. Will maintain contact with and appoint designee to state or area ecumenical associations as appropriate.
VI. Keeper of the Vision
A. The Regional Minister, along with the Regional Moderator, will promote and keep before the region the vision, mission, values, and goals of our life together.
B. The Regional Minister, in partnership with regional leaders, will encourage regular evaluation of the region’s vision and progress towards living into that vision.
It is recognized that given the geographic expanse of the Northern Lights Region and other exigencies the personal presence of the Interim Regional Minister and President will not always be possible. Much of the pastoral and administrative presence will be virtual through Zoom and other electronic means.
It is also recognized that job descriptions cannot cover every specific situation that may arise. This job description should be understood as fluid and flexible. The Interim Regional Minister and President will remain flexible, tolerant and supportive in the development of program and in the carrying out of the work of the region.