POSITION DESCRIPTION FOR REGIONAL MINISTER & PRESIDENT
THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH (DISCIPLES OF CHRIST) IN THE NORTHERN LIGHTS REGION
The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the Northern Lights Region (Northern Lights Region) began January 1, 2020 with the coming together of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Montana and the Northwest Regional Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). The region lives out its ministry through congregations in Alaska, Montana, Northern Idaho, and Washington.
The Regional Minister and President, as both pastor and administrator, will guide the continuing process of creating a new regional culture and living into the vision and mission to which God is calling the Northern Lights Region.
The Regional Minister shall have, at minimum, a Master of Divinity degree, be an ordained minister with standing, or eligible to receive standing, in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), and have served a minimum of 5 years in congregational and/or regional ministry.
The Regional Minister and President is called to:
I. Pastoral Duties
A. The Care and Nurture of Clergy by maintaining regular contact with the individual ministers of congregations and Disciples institutions and by seeking to minister to the clergy and their families as counselor, friend, and confidant.
B. The Care and Nurture of Congregations by visiting and fellowshipping with congregations and participating in significant events as time and schedule permits. Giving special attention to congregations undergoing strained relationships between minister and people; problems that threaten the peace and unity of the congregation; or matters adversely affecting the congregation’s relationship to the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
II. Program Oversight
A. Serve as ex-officio member to provide advice and counsel with all commissions, boards, ethnic constituencies, and committees.
B. Meet with, give leadership to, and serve as a voting member of the Regional Board and Executive Committee.
C. Give direction and counsel for Camps and Retreats.
III. Search and Call
A. Receive and respond to congregational requests by:
1. Making the services of the Regional Office available to the congregations, advising them on the search and call process to follow in securing pastoral leadership.
2. Meeting with local search committees whenever appropriate and helping a congregation identify the qualities needed or desired in a minister.
3. Maintain regular contact with each congregation involved in the search and call process.
B. Receive and respond to requests from clergy by:
1. Providing information about the search and call process.
2. Giving counsel to ministers concerning search and call as requested.
3. Encouraging ministers to relocate to the Northern Lights Region when appropriate.
IV. Administrative Responsibilities
A. Office Administration
1. Oversee the work of ministry, office, and staff of the Northern Lights Region.
2. Write and respond to letters, questionnaires, reports, requests.
3. Provide guidance for regional organizations and ministry teams.
4. Supervise the preparation of reports for the Yearbook; report the names of General Assembly delegates, etc.
5. Oversee the publication of regional communications.
B. Legal Matters
1. Hold fiduciary responsibility, along with the Regional Board, for the Regional Church’s finances.
2. Receive, review and file legal documents.
3. Sign official documents as the representative of the Northern Lights Region.
4. File State and Federal reports as required by law.
C. Regional Board and Budget
1. Supervise the notification of members of meetings and the mailing of minutes after meetings.
2. Work with and inform the Regional Moderator and other regional leaders on matters affecting the life and work of the church in the region and denomination.
3. Guide the preparation of the Regional Budget.
4. Supervise the expenditures within the approved budget.
V. Denominational and Ecumenical representation
A. To make visible the unity of the Church, the Regional Minister and President (or designee) shall serve as the primary ecumenical representative.
B. Serve as chief liaison with the general manifestation of the church, including the Conference of Regional Ministers and Moderators, College of Regional Ministers, General Board of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
C. Will maintain contact with and appoint designee to state or area ecumenical associations as appropriate.
VI. Keeper of the Vision
A. The Regional Minister, along with the Regional Moderator, will promote and keep before the region the vision, mission, values, and goals of our life together.
B. The Regional Minister, in partnership with regional leaders, will encourage regular evaluation of the region’s vision and progress towards living into that vision.
It is recognized that given the geographic expanse of the Northern Lights Region and other exigencies the personal presence of the Regional Minister and President will not always be possible. Much of the pastoral and administrative presence will be virtual through Zoom and other electronic means.
It is also recognized that job descriptions cannot cover every specific situation that may arise. This job description should be understood as fluid and flexible. The Regional Minister and President will remain flexible, tolerant, and supportive in the development of program and in the carrying out of the work of the region.